For now, I'm available to visit schools in Toronto, and soon, the GTA and Southern Ontario.
- Get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in a reading and visit(s) and I will loan your school a copy or copies of the lesson plan.
- Contact me at least 2 weeks prior to my scheduled visit to your school to discuss what components within this lesson plan you would like me to participate in with your class (and which portions you would like the class to do in their own time).
Together, we can create a unique and multifaceted learning experience for your students!
- I have a USB drive or laptop and projector for my presentation but I can also use a projector at the school, if preferred - please get in touch with the author ASAP if alternate presentation materials will need to be used.
$150.00: Reading of the picture book plus Q&A and minor discussion. Book order forms left with students as well as a couple “take away” items (a certificate or bookmark, stickers, colouring page or something else each student can take home) and 1 copy donated to the school library. 30-45 minutes. Any of my books would work well with this level:
- Beverlee Beaz the Brown Burmese (Mirror World Publishing - www.mirrorworldpublishing.com),
- Sloth the Lazy Dragon (Guardian Angel Publishing - www.guardianangelpublishing.com),
- Tamara Turtle’s Life So Far (Mirror Publishing - www.pagesofwonder.com), and my new books
- Mixter Twizzle’s Breakfast (Mirror World Publishing) and
- Merry Myrrh: The Christmas Bat (Guardian Angel Publishing) that come out in Fall 2018.
- Libby the Lobivia Jajoiana (Guardian Angel Publishing) will be out in the Fall of 2019.
$250.00: 1 class visit with reading, post-reading discussion and trivia related to the book, q&a and activities (which I will copy and bring as handouts — all black and white except in the case of Tamara-related certificates, which I will also sign), 1-2 copies of the book donated to the school library, loan of the lesson plan in case the teacher would like to do some activities separately (before or after my visit) and I will leave book order forms and a couple “take aways” for the students to take home. 1 hour or so. Any of my books can be used at this tier level.
$450.00-$500.00: Class visit with reading, post reading discussion and trivia, q&a and introduction to “poster”, “diorama”, “research” or “list” related activities (as determined on a case by case basis). Students will have 2 days - 2 weeks (as determined by teacher/class schedule) to work on their assignments and I will return for a second class visit to see presentations by the students and their work. Activities such as those done at the $250 level tier can also be done during my first and/or second visit (including certificates, in the case of Tamara). Book forms and take aways will be left for students to take home and a set of up to 15 books are included for the class and library. Lesson plans will be loaned out for the duration of the session and if teachers wish to sign up for a visit at this or the $250 level next year get to keep the lesson plan binders. 1 hour + per visit. This tier works best for Tamara Turtle’s Life So Far, and possibly also Libby the Lobivia Jajoiana which is out Fall 2019.
Please note that a “class” is considered to be no more than 30 students. A minor price adjustment based on number of students/activity copies and books will be made if a class has more than 30 students, or if you wish to combine classes. Teachers will be given the appropriate number of activity sheets to cover all the students in the class. Any loaned out lesson plans or books that have been damaged will need to be purchased for $? per binder and $12.99 per book. Finally, I will be able to provide a brief contract for any school visit tier purchased.
Synopses of my picture books: (CLICK READ MORE)
- Discussion and trivia for Beverlee Beaz the Brown Burmese includes: information and trivia regarding all the animals (both real and imagined) from the story, and activities meant to engage the students’ imagination. I am also able to answer questions the students may have regarding the book itself, and writing and publishing.
Suggested age range for readers: 4-7
- Discussion and trivia for Sloth the Lazy Dragon includes: information and trivia regarding healthy foods and exercise. I am also able to answer questions students may have regarding the book itself, and writing and publishing.
- The lesson plan/presentation for Tamara Turtle’s Life So Far includes: Discussion of specific pages in the picture book, trivia questions and discussion on basic facts about Red-eared Slider turtles, turtles you might find in pet stores, the eight turtle species located in Ontario, Red-eared Slider distribution, how to care for Red-eared Sliders and other pet turtles, including expenses, foods, equipment and accessories, reptile and “special species” shelters and rescues, what to do/not do if you can no longer keep your pet turtle, why some people may choose to give up their pet turtle (generally due to previously discussed expenses, including equipment and housing, food, vet bills, etc.) and why you must never release a pet turtle into the wild. Many activity sheets (and answer sheets) are available in the package (word searches, crosswords, colouring pages, research assignments and many more), and an assessment rubric, vocabulary page and curriculum guidelines the lesson plan fulfils are all there for the teachers. There is a Grade 1/2 version and a Grade 3/4 version. Please contact me if you wish to see a copy of the binders in advance.
- Discussion and trivia for Mixter Twizzles’s Breakfast includes: the history and information about Riverdale Farm in Toronto, as well as activities tying into farm and farm animal-related subjects, particularly chickens! I am also able to answer questions the students may have regarding the book itself, and writing and publishing.
- Discussion and trivia for Merry Myrrh: The Christmas Bat includes: information, activities and trivia about bats in Ontario, particularly the Little Brown Bat, and where appropriate, Christmas activities. I am also able to answer questions the students may have regarding the book itself, and writing and publishing.
Libby the Lobivia Jajoiana (available Fall 2019): Libby is a cactus plant with self-esteem issues. After Violet moves in next to her on the windowsill, Libby learns that perceived flaws, which make her feel different and weird, can be her best characteristic.
- Discussion and trivia for Libby the Lobivia Jajoiana includes: information, activities and trivia about various cacti (especially Lobivia Jajoiana) and flowers you may find in the garden (or Allan Gardens), and/or activities and discussion around self-esteem and perception of beauty. I am also able to answer questions the students may have regarding the book itself, and writing and publishing.